Building Committee concerns and Administration responses from December 2021 meeting
- ➢ Cell phone procedures has its struggles with teacher's assisting in the collection process created by teachers. A survey went out and a new schedule was created by BC with Administration. We will start it on January 4. If this does not work it was agreed that we will have to reconsider phone collection due to not having enough staff volunteering to help with collection and distribution.
- ➢ Administration created a newer detailed schedule for safety, VFZ, teachers and administrator for hall, stairwell and bathroom duties. This will begin January 4.
- ➢ BC wants MPD dogs to walk the building sniffing for drugs. Administration will see if this practice still exists and if so how it works. After checking with MPS Safety Office dogs are no longer an option. That was a contract with a private K9 company.
- ➢ If a student “smells” they should be sent to the Nurse for vitals check. Hall walking, students in and out of classrooms
➢ Administration created a newer detailed schedule for safety, VFZ, teachers and administrator for hall, stairwell and bathroom duties. This will begin January 4.
They feel it has made a difference in the classroom/school.
Drug use in school (in the bathroom and stairwell), students coming to class high and smelling of
weed. According to staff, this is very concerning and we need a new policy.
• A majority see this as a major distraction and a need for an in-house suspension room
(could be staffed through CPT staff)
COVID is still with us (recent outbreaks in school)....feelings about communication and policy
• Staff feel it is still confusing
• Lack of consistency is causing concern
• Teachers feel this is a major concern because class attendance is often less than
- ➢ We will start a quiet room beginning the week of January 4 staffed by vetted MPS volunteers as a place for students to go.
- ➢ We will also continue to discuss opening a restorative room located in room 135 in the future.
- ➢ Our school Nurse will present to the staff on Tuesday morning about updated COVID protocol
- ➢ The COVID “Quick Links” will be posted the Purgolder HUB for reference
- ➢ Staff receive a letter for positive cases via email. Families receive the same letter via email and robo call.
- ➢ We are struggling with office staff. We need a head secretary. So, all office staff as well as Talent Bridge office employees received a whole day training form central office attendance staff. Our school attendance data was inaccurate and should be getting better.
Overall disrespect, poor student behavior and fights
• There are major concerns. Staff have even expressed the idea of using sick days due to fear of coming to school for safety reasons.
- ➢ Teachers will have duties to assist with reinforcing student behaviors and building relationships i.e. halls, lunch room, cell phones, etc.
- ➢ Students are being suspended and school infractions are addressed. Suspensions don’t change behaviors.
- ➢ Parents are being asked to reinstate suspended students for a meeting with administration and complete a student data review.
- ➢ New student intakes have returned. All new students will have an orientation with administration and other support staff. Ms. Corley overseas these plans and overseas this process.
- ➢ Poster size list of the agreed upon school rules were ordered and hung for all to review.
- ➢ Staff have been doing much better with attendance and filling in where needed. There have not been sick out days but instead we are working together to get things done.
Other things discussed and agreed upon
- ➢ PO/case manager (consent forms) list for staff linked on HUB
- ➢ ASPIRE student list will be linked on HUB for staff
- ➢ Bathrooms will be open during passing and unlocked for students by safety when they
have permission from teacher.
- ➢ Students will be rerouted through the building to pre-COVID hall and stair well usage.
They will use old main and South to go from floor to floor.
- ➢ The bathrooms on second floor will be limited to students who have classes on that floor (ALT ED)